Place:


Hockley  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hockley like this:

HOCKLEY, a village and a parish in Rochford district, Essex. The village stands on a hill, 1½ mile S of the river Crouch, 4 NW of Rochford, and 6 N-of Benfleet r. station; and has a post office under Chelmsford. The parish comprises 4, 614 acres. Real property, £6, 108; of which £65 are in fisheries. ...


Pop., 798. Houses, 170. The property is much subdivided. High grounds here command some fine views. Wharves, and remains of an ancient bridge, are on the Crouch at Hull-Bridge; and the river there is fordable at low water. A pumproom with baths, and a hotel, were erected at a recently discovered medicinal spring; but they proved unsuccessful, and the pump room is used as a Baptist chapel. There is a large barrow. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £165.* Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is Norman; has a massive octagonal tower; was founded by Canute, in memory of his victory over Edmund Ironside at Ashingdon; and has been restored. Charities, £13.

Hockley through time

Hockley is now part of Rochford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rochford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hockley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hockley, in Rochford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6761

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hockley ".