Place:


Heybridge  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heybridge like this:

HEYBRIDGE, a village and a parish in Maldon district, Essex. The village is suburban to Maldon, at M. r. station; was known to the Saxons as Tidwaltintune, and given by king Athelstan to St. Paul's cathedral, in London; acquired its present name from the construction of a five arched bridge over the Blackwater, in the time of Henry VI.; derives trade from the Chelmer navigation and the Maldon railway; and has a post office under Maldon, a fair on Whit-Tuesday, malt works, a large iron foundry, and extensive agricultural implement and machine manufactories. ...


The parish comprises 2, 012 acres of land, and 124 of water. Real property, £5, 377. Pop. in 1851, 1, 330; in 1861, 1, 476. Houses, 315. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £159. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London. The church is ancient, but good. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists, and charities £33.

Heybridge through time

Heybridge is now part of Maldon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maldon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heybridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heybridge, in Maldon and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6760

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heybridge ".