Place:


Hawkwell  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hawkwell like this:

HAWKWELL, or HAWKSWELL, or HACKWELL, a parish in Rochford district, Essex; 2 miles NW of Rochford, and 4½ N of Leigh r. station. Post town, Rochford, under Chelmsford. Acres, 1, 353. Real property, £2, 506. Pop., 334. Houses, 71. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £400.* Patron, R. Bristow, Esq. The church has nave and chancel, with a spire; and is good. There are a national school, and charities £23.

Hawkwell through time

Hawkwell is now part of Rochford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rochford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hawkwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hawkwell, in Rochford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6752

Date accessed: 26th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hawkwell ".