Place:


Lydham  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lydham like this:

LYDHAM, a village in Clun district, Salop, and a parish partly also in the district and county of Montgomery. The village stands near the river Camlet, at the boundary with Wales, and near Lydham-Heath r. station, 2 miles NNE of Bishops-Castle. The parish comprises 1,943 acres in Salop, and 1,125 acres, forming the township of Aston, in Montgomery. ...


Posttown, Bishops-Castle, Shropshire. Real property of the Salop portion, £2,437. Pop. of the whole, 205. Houses, 29. Pop. of the Salop portion, 143. Houses, 19. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Rev. A. Oakeley. Oakley House is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £463. Patron, the Rev. A. Oakeley. The church is ancient but good, and has an ancient font.

Lydham through time

Lydham is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lydham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lydham in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6721

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lydham ".