Place:


Nantyglo  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nantyglo like this:

NANTYGLO, a village and a chapelry in Aberystruth parish, Monmouth. The village stands at the head of Ebbw-fach vale, and at the terminus of the Western Valleys railway, amid a wild tract of upland country, ¾of a mile S of the boundary with Brecon, and 21½ N N W of Newport; is a seat or centre of extensive ironworks, comprising seven furnaces and enormous rolling and puddling forges; and has a railway station with telegraph, a post-office under Tredegar, a good inn, a modernchurch, and a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, in the Italianstyle, erected in 1863. ...


Its aspect, partly from the-dreary character of the environs, still more from the smoke and dirt of the ironworks, is exceedingly uninviting. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Rated property, £10, 980. Pop. in 1861, 4, 450. Houses, 853. The property is divided among a few; and that of the iron-works belongs to the Bailey family. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £150.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop.

Nantyglo through time

Nantyglo is now part of Blaenau Gwent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blaenau Gwent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nantyglo itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nantyglo, in Blaenau Gwent and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/672

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nantyglo ".