Place:


Hadleigh  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hadleigh like this:

HADLEIGH, a village and a parish in Rochford district, Essex. The village stands 1½ mile N of HadleighRay, 2.NE by E of Benfleet r. station, and 2½ S of Rayleigh; is an ancient place; was once a market town; and has a post office under Chelmsford, and a fair on 24 June. Hadleigh Ray is the strait on the N side of Canvey island. ...


The parish includes part of that island, and comprises 2, 689 acres. Real property, £2, 298; of which £18 are in fisheries. Pop., 451. Houses, 102. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged, in the time of Henry III., to Hubert de Burgh, Earl of Kent; and passed to the Riches and the Barnards. Remains of a castle, built by Hubert de Burgh, stand on an eminence, commanding an extensive view; occupy an oval area of 330 feet by 120; include buttressed walls and remains of two towers; and exhibit traces both of magnificence and of great strength. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £400.* Patron, Charles Metcalfe, Esq. The church is partly Norman, partly early English; and was recently restored. There is a national school.

Hadleigh through time

Hadleigh is now part of Castle Point district. Click here for graphs and data of how Castle Point has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hadleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hadleigh, in Castle Point and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6719

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hadleigh ".