Place:


Faulkbourne  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Faulkbourne like this:

FAULKBOURN, a parish in Witham district, Essex; on the river Brain, adjacent to the Braintree railway, 2½ miles NW of Witham. It has a post office under Witham. Acres, 1, 151. Real property, £2, 139. Pop., 143. Houses, 31. The manor belonged to Hamo Dapifer, and went to the Fortescues. ...


Faulkbourn Hall, now the seat of the Rev. W. T. Bullock, was originally built in 1440, by Sir R. Montgomery; retains a Norman tower, with polygonal turrets, having pyramidal crocketted canopies and bartisans; forms, on the west of the entrance-tower, three sides of a quadrangle; contains a fine collection of pictures by Vandyke, Vandervelde, and Beechy: and is said to occupy the site of a Roman villa. A cedar here has a girth of 18½ feet. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £267.* Patron, the Rev. W. T. Bullock. The church is Norman; 1ias two brasses of the 16th century; and is good. Charities, £7.

Faulkbourne through time

Faulkbourne is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Faulkbourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Faulkbourne, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6705

Date accessed: 18th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Faulkbourne ".