Place:


Danbury  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Danbury like this:

DANBURY, a village and a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex. The village stands on high ground, 4½ miles E by S of Chelmsford r. station; and has a post office under Chelmsford, and a fair on Shrove Tuesday. Its name is a contraction of Danesbury, signifying the "town or castle of the Danes. ...


" The parish includes also Runsell hamlet and part of Bicknacre. Acres, 2, 950. Real property, with the rest of Bicknacre, £4, 243. Pop., 1, 113. Houses, 236. The manor was held, at Domesday, by Geoffrey de Mandeville; passed to the St. Cleres, the Veres, the Greys, the Darceys, and the Mildmays; and belongs now to Sir B. W. Bridges, Bart. Danbury Place, now called Danbury Palace, was the seat of the Rounds; and is now the residence of the bishop of Rochester, having been purchased by the ecclesiastical commissioners, in 1851, for £24, 700. Daubury Hill, at the village, is 700 feet high; and has vestiges of an ancient camp, 680 yards in circuit. The parish is a meet for the Essex Union hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £435.* Patron, Sir B. W. Bridges, Bart. The church has a stone tower and a lofty wooden spire; and contains effigies of the St. Cleres. There are national schools, and charities £44.

Danbury through time

Danbury is now part of Chelmsford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chelmsford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Danbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Danbury, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6674

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Danbury ".