Place:


Mottram in Longendale  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mottram in Longendale like this:

MOTTRAM-IN-LONGDENDALE, a small town, a township, and a parish, in the district of Ashton-underLyne and county of Chester. The town stands on an eminence in Longdendale, ½ a mile W of the river Etherow at the boundary with Derbyshire, 1 mile N of the M anchester and Sheffield railway, and 4¼ SE of Ashtonunder-Lyne; has environs of great picturesqueness and much grandeur; consists chiefly of one long well-paved street; carries on cotton-spinning and calico printing; is a polling-place for North Cheshire; and has a railway station with telegraph, and a post office‡ under Manchester, both of the name of Mottram, and fairs on 27 April and 31 Oct.-The township comprises 1,079 acres. ...


Real property, £10,504; of which £50 are in mines, and £16 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851,3,199; in 1861,3,406. Houses, 667. The manor belonged anciently to the Hollands; passed to the Lovells, the Stanleys, the Wilbrahams, and the Tollemaches; and belongs now to John Tollemache, Esq. Hill-End House is the seat of John Chapman, Esq.; and the Manor House is the residence of F. Grundy, Esq. Broad Bottom, situated at the railway station, is a considerable village and a place of manufacture.—The parish contains also the townships of Hattersley, Hollingworth, Tintwistle, Stayley, Matley, Godley, and Newton, and the hamlet of Micklehurst. Acres, 23,279. Real property, £88,588; of which £1,370 are in mines, £193 in quarries, and £862 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851,23,354; in 1861,22,495. Houses, 4,487. There are several manors, held by several proprietors; and there are numerous good residences. The surface is very diversified, and contains a large aggregate of beautiful and romantic scenery. Some portions are included in the towns of Mossley and Staleybridge; and both these and others are seats of manufacture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £220.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is later English; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a fine tower; and includes two mortuary chapels,-one with a full-length figure of Ralph Stoneleigh, in armour, -the other with a handsome marble altar-tomb of Reginald Bretnald, serjeant-at-law. The p. curacies of Millbrook, Newton, Stayley, Tintwistle, Woodhead, and Godley-with-Newton-Green are separate benefices. There are chapels for Independents. Wesleyans, and Unitarians, an endowed grammar school with £65 a year, and charities £87 in Mottram township; and some dissenting chapels and public schools in the other townships.

Mottram in Longendale through time

Mottram in Longendale is now part of Tameside district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tameside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mottram in Longendale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mottram in Longendale, in Tameside and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/665

Date accessed: 13th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mottram in Longendale ".