Place:


Blackrod  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blackrod like this:

BLACKROD, a village and a township-chapelry in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Lancashire. The village stands on elevated ground near the river Douglas and the Bolton and Preston railway, 4½ miles SSE of Chorley: and it has a joint station with Horwich on the railway, and a post office of its own under Chorley. ...


Its site is supposed to have been occupied by the Roman station Coccium, on Watling-street; and many Roman relics have been found. The chapelry comprises 2,367 acres. Real property, £14,264; of which £7,711 are in mines. Pop., 2,911. Houses, 546. The property is not much divided. The inhabitants are chiefly cotton-spinners and colliers. A fire in a colliery here was extinguished by drawing into it the river Douglas. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £400.* Patron, the Vicar of Bolton. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. A free grammar school has £140 a year, besides sums for three exhibitions at Pembroke college, Cambridge; and other charities have £104.

Blackrod through time

Blackrod is now part of Bolton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blackrod itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackrod, in Bolton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/659

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blackrod ".