In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Warrington like this:
Warrington.-- parl. and mun. bor., market town, par., and township, SW. Lancashire, on river Mersey, midway between Liverpool and Manchester, and 182 miles from London by rail - par., 12,954 ac., pop. 44,352; township, 2887 ac., pop. 40,957; parl. bor., 3783 ac., pop. 45,253; mun. bor., 1442 ac., pop. 41,452; 3 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. (The bor. extends into Grappenhall and Runcorn pars., Cheshire.) The Mersey is here navigable for vessels of 100 tons, and Warrington has communication, by water and by rail, with all the principal places of Lancashire and Cheshire. ...
The mfrs. comprise wire-work, pins, files, edge-tools, cotton, glass, soap, &c. Warrington is noted for its ale. There are many fine public buildings, and a public park and gardens. Warrington is an old town (mentioned in Domesday Book as "Wallintun"), and has still some quaint timber houses. The parish church stands on the site of an ancient Saxon church dedicated to St Elphin. An Augustinian friary was erected in 1379, but no trace of it remains. The bridge was built in 1496; being the principal passage over the river from Cheshire to Lancashire, it has been the scene of many conflicts. Warrington was made a parl. bor. in 1832, and a mun. bor. in 1847; it returns 1 member to Parliament.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Warrington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Warrington. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Warrington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Warrington in Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Warrington".