Place:


Chadwell  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chadwell like this:

CHADWELL-ST. MARY, a parish in Orsett district, Essex; on the Thames, and on the Tilbury and Southend railway, 2 miles E of Grays r. station, and 2½ S of Orsett. Post Town, Grays, under Romford. Acres, 1,977; of which 160 are water. Real property, £2,946. Pop., 457. Houses, 85. The property is divided among a few. ...


Chalk-caves occur here, called Daneholds and Cunobelin's gold mines. Tilbury fort is partly within the border. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £427.* Patron, the Rev. J. P. Herringham. The church is old but good. Charities, £12.

Chadwell through time

Chadwell is now part of Thurrock district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thurrock has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chadwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chadwell, in Thurrock and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6574

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chadwell ".