Place:


Boxted  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Boxted like this:

BOXTED, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Stour, 2 miles ESE of Neyland, and 5½ N of Colchester r. station. It has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 3,082. Real property, £5,019. Pop., 935. Houses, 219. Boxted Hall is the seat of the Poleys. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £110.* Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church has a curious monument of Sir J. Poley; and is very good. Charities, £10.

Boxted through time

Boxted is now part of Colchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Colchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Boxted itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Boxted, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6549

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Boxted ".