Place:


Barling  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barling like this:

BARLING, a parish in Rochford district, Essex; on a creek of the Broomhill river, 4½ miles ESE of Rochford,and 5 NE of Southend r. station. It has a post office under Chelmsford. Acres, 1,258. Real property, £2,801. Pop., 354. Houses, 77. The property is subdivided. The manor was given by Edward the Confessor to St. Paul's Cathedral. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £230. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church is a neat structure, with chancel and tower.

Barling through time

Barling is now part of Rochford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rochford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barling, in Rochford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6529

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barling ".