Place:


Great Bardfield  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Bardfield like this:

BARDFIELD (Great), a village and a parish in Dunmow district, Essex. The village stands on Blackwater river, 9 miles NW of Braintree r. station. It has a post-office‡ under Braintree, a new town hall, a police station, and a fair on 22 Jan.; and is a seat of petty sessions. The parish comprises 3,689 acres. ...


Real property, £6,715. Pop., 1,065. Houses, 259. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £262.* Patron, Representatives of late Rev. B. E. Lampet. The church is old. There are three dissenting chapels, two public schools, and charities £72.

Great Bardfield through time

Great Bardfield is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Bardfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Bardfield, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6526

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Bardfield ".