Place:


Ardleigh  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ardleigh like this:

ARDLEIGH, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Tendring, Essex. The parish lies on the Eastern Union railway, 4¼ NE of Colchester; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Colchester. Acres, 4,905. Real property, £9,445. Pop., 1,582. Houses, 360. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £380.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.-The subdistrict comprises six parishes. Acres, 18,037. Pop. 4,964. Houses, 1,136.

Ardleigh through time

Ardleigh is now part of Tendring district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tendring has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ardleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ardleigh, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6517

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ardleigh ".