Place:


Aldham  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aldham like this:

ALDHAM, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; near Colne river, 2 miles N of Marks Tey r. station, and 5 ENE of Coggleshall. Post Town, Marks Tey under Colchester. Acres, 1,825. Real property, £2,558. Pop., 406. Houses, 94. The manor belonged to the De Veres. The property is subdivided. The place is a meet for the East Essex hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £327.* Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is very good. Charities, £32. Morant the historian was rector of Aldham.

Aldham through time

Aldham is now part of Colchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Colchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aldham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aldham, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6513

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aldham ".