Place:


Upchurch  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upchurch like this:

UPCHURCH, a parish, with a village, in Milton district, Kent; on the creeks of the Medway, 1¾ mile N of Newington r. station, and 5 E of Chatham. It has a wall letter-box under Sittingbourne. Acres, 5,138; of which 1,520 are water. Real property, £5,564. Pop., 468. Houses, 99. The property is divided among a few. ...


Low islets and peninsulæ, engirt by creeks, form much of the surface; bear the name of salterns or saltings; appear to have been the site of an extensive Roman pottery manufacture; and have yielded many pieces of Roman pottery and many Roman coins. There are also extensive gravel pits, abounding with fossils. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £243.* Patron, All Souls College, Oxford. The church is chiefly decorated English; and has a spire, which serves as a landmark. Charities, £8.

Upchurch through time

Upchurch is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upchurch, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6464

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upchurch ".