Place:


Tonge  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tonge like this:

TONG, a parish in Milton district, Kent; 1½ mile E by N of Sittingbourne r. station. Post town, Sittingbourne. Acres, 1,883; of which 265 are water. Real property, £4,400. Pop., 277. Houses, 56. T. Castle dates from the earliest Saxon times; was the scene of a massacre of the ancient Britons, by the Saxons; belonged, in the time of Richard II., to Mortimer, Earl of March; and is now represented by a high moated mound. ...


Checks Court is the seat of T. Lake, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £215.* Patron, the Rev. A. Baldwin. The church is partly Norman. Charities, £11.

Tonge through time

Tonge is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tonge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tonge, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6451

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tonge ".