Place:


Smeeth  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Smeeth like this:

SMEETH, a village and a parish in East Ashford district, Kent. The village stands near the Southeastern railway, 4½ miles ESE of Ashford; was once a market-town; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post-office under Ashford, and fairs on 13 May and 29 Sept. The parish contains also the hamlet of Ridgway, and comprises 1,611 acres. Real property, £2,968. Pop., 486. Houses, 113. The manor, with the Paddock, belongs to E. H. K. Hugessen, Esq. The living is a rectory. Value, £461.* The church is Norman. Charities, £38.

Smeeth through time

Smeeth is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Smeeth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Smeeth, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6398

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Smeeth ".