Place:


Leysdown on Sea  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leysdown on Sea like this:

LEYSDOWN, a parish, with a village, in Sheppey district, Kent; on the NE side of Sheppey isle, 6 miles N of Faversham r. station, and 7½ E by S of Queenborough. Post town, Eastchurch, under Sittingbourne.. Acres, 4,302; of which 2,120 are water. Real property, £3,083. Pop., 215. Houses, 44. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Capt. Hilton. There is a coast-guard station. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Harty, in the diocese of Canterbury. Valne, £300. * Patrons, the Archbishop of Canterbury three turns, and Major Munn one turn. The church is modern, but has portions of an ancient tower. Charities, £11.

Leysdown on Sea through time

Leysdown on Sea is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leysdown on Sea itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leysdown on Sea, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6354

Date accessed: 23rd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leysdown on Sea ".