Place:


Knowlton  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knowlton like this:

KNOWLTON, a parish in Eastry district, Kent; 2 miles SW of Eastry, and 3½ E by S of Adisham r. stationPost town, Wingham, under Sandwich. Acres, 428. Real property, £1, 438. Pop., 31. Houses, 2. Knowlton Court, a fine old mansion, is the seat of Admiral H. D'Aeth; belonged to his ancestor Narborough, who was lost with Shovell, in 1707, on the Scilly Islands; and stands in a richly wooded park of upwards of 300 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of CanterburyValue, £150. * Patron, Admiral H. D'Aeth.

Knowlton through time

Knowlton is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knowlton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knowlton, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6250

Date accessed: 22nd January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knowlton ".