Place:


Earsham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Earsham like this:

EARSHAM, a parish and a hundred in Norfolk. The parish is in Depwade district; and lies on the river Waveney, and on the Waveney Valley railway, 1 mile WSW of Bungay; and has a side station on the railway. Post town, Bungay. Acres, 3, 052. Real property, £5, 788. Pop., 697. Houses, 158. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged to the Bigods. Earsham House was formerly the seat of the Wyndhams; and is now the seat of Capt. -John Meade. The living is a rectory in the dio. of Norwich Value, £505.* Patron, Capt. John Meade. The church stands within the area of a Saxon camp; has a tower and spire; contains monuments of the Gooches, the Buxtons, and others; and is good.-The hundred lies around the parish; and contains twelve other parishes and part of -another, Acres, 24, 560. Pop., 8, 484. Houses, 1,856.

Earsham through time

Earsham is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Earsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Earsham in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6221

Date accessed: 26th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Earsham ".