Place:


Royal Leamington Spa  Warwickshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Royal Leamington Spa like this:

Leamington (Leamington Priors, or Royal Leamington Spa), mun. bor., par., and watering-place, Warwickshire, on river Leam, within parliamentary limits of Warwick and Leamington, 2 miles E. of Warwick and 98 miles NW. of London by rail, 1720 ac., pop. 22,979; 3 Banks, 5 newspapers. ...


Leamington appears in Domesday Book as Lamintone, but was subsequently designated Leamington Priors, through its being granted to the priors of Kenilworth. Since 1811, when the town contained only 543 inhabitants, Leamington has risen with marvellous rapidity, its progress being due to its sheltered position in the valley of the Leam, and the historical interest and beauty of its neighbourhood, but chiefly, perhaps, to the excellence of its medicinal springs. The town was incorporated as Royal Leamington Spa in March 1875, and was included in the parl. limits of Warwick and Leamington in 1885. Its trade is in a large measure connected with supplying the wants of numerous visitors; but there is a prominent industry in the mfr. of Leamington cooking ranges, which have gained a high reputation.

Royal Leamington Spa through time

Royal Leamington Spa is now part of Warwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Warwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Royal Leamington Spa itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Royal Leamington Spa, in Warwick and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/615

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Royal Leamington Spa ".