Place:


Petrockstow  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Petrockstow like this:

PETROCKSTOW, a village and a parish in Torrington district, Devon. The village stands near the Okehampton and Bideford railway, 4 miles N N W of Hatherleigh; and has a post-office under Beaford, North Devon. The parish comprises 4,000 acres. Real property, £3, 996. Pop., 613. Houses, 130. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to Buckfastleigh abbey, and belongs now to Lord Clinton. About 1, 360 acres are open moor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £255.* Patron, Lord Clinton. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments of the Rolles and others. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, and a parochial school.

Petrockstow through time

Petrockstow is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Petrockstow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Petrockstow, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6140

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Petrockstow ".