Place:


West Buckland  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Buckland like this:

BUCKLAND (West), a parish in South Molton district, Devon; 6 miles NW of South Molton, and 7½ E of Barnstaple r. station. It has a post office under South Molton, North Devon. Acres, 1,7 72. Real property, £1,548. Pop., 321. Houses, 50. The property is divided among a few; and great portion belongs to Earl Fortescue. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £194.* Patron, J. F. Basset, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1863; retains the tower of a previous ancient cruciform church; is in the decorated English style, of the transition period; and shows elaborate ornature in coloured marbles, polychromy, and gilt ironwork.

West Buckland through time

West Buckland is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Buckland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Buckland in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6066

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Buckland ".