Place:


Perranuthnoe  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Perranuthnoe like this:

PERRANUTHNOE, or Little Perran, a parish in Penzance district, Cornwall; on Mounts bay, 2 miles E S E of Marazion, and 2½ E S E of Marazion Road r. station. It contains the village of Goldsithney, which has a post-office under Marazion, Cornwall. Acres, 1, 182; of which 55 are water. Real property, £2, 468; of which £613 are in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 229; in 1861, 1, 507. Houses, 316. The manor belongs to W. J. Travelyan, Esq. Acton Castle is the chief residence. Many pointscommand a fine view of Mounts bay. The rocks areinteresting to geologists, and include valuable minerals. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £320.* Patron, W. J. Trevelyan, Esq. The church is ancient, and has a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and U. Free Methodists, and a national school.

Perranuthnoe through time

Perranuthnoe is now part of Penwith district. Click here for graphs and data of how Penwith has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Perranuthnoe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Perranuthnoe, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6059

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Perranuthnoe ".