Place:


Davenport  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Davenport like this:

DAVENPORT, a township in Astbury parish, Cheshire; on the river Dane, 4½ miles NW of Congleton. Acres, 755. Real property, £1, 510. Pop., 117. Houses, 19. A mansion, described by Leland as "a great old house covered with lead, " was the seat of the Davenports; and Davenport Hall is the seat of the Tippings.

Davenport through time

Davenport is now part of Congleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Congleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Davenport itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Davenport, in Congleton and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6031

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Davenport ".