Place:


Roughton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roughton like this:

ROUGHTON, a parish, with a village, in Erpingham district, Norfolk; 3½ miles S of Cromer, and 6½ N W of North Walsham r. station. It has a post-office under Norwich. Acres, 1, 740. Real property, £1, 775. Pop., 412. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Suffield. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £340.* Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is of the 14th century, and has a round tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed school with £60 a year, and charities £13.

Roughton through time

Roughton is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Roughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roughton in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6003

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Roughton ".