In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newlyn like this:
NEWLYN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in St. Columb district, Cornwall. The village stands on elevated ground, under Newlyn Down, 7½ miles S W of St. Columb Major, and 8 W N W of Grampound-Road r.station; was once a market-town; is now a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Grampound-Road, Cornwall, and a fair on 8 Nov. The parish contains also the ancient manor of Cargol, and part of the disfranchised borough of Mitchell. Acres, 8,010. Real property, £9, 966; of which £1, 775 are in mines. ...
Pop. in 1851, 2, 152; in 1861, 1, 641. Houses, 337. The decrease of pop.was caused by the closing of mines. The manor and most of the land belong to Sir Thomas D. Acland, Bart., Viscount Falmouth, the Bishop of Exeter, andH. T. Hawkins, Esq. Cargol belonged to Bodmin priory, passed to the Bishops of Exeter, and had an Episcopal palace. Trerice was the seat of Lord John Arundell, who defended Pendennis Castle when he was 80 years of age; and is now represented by only a fragment. Newlyn House belongs to Sir T. D. Acland; is an interesting ancient mansion; and was recently restored. Tresilianis the seat of R. G. Bennett, Esq. Treludra belonged to the Borlases. The surface is hilly, and partly intersected by deep vales. The rocks include slate, limestone, and lead ore. East Huel Rose was one of the largest leadmines in Cornwall, and yielded about 40 ounces of silver per ton of ore. There are several chalybeate springs. Several barrows are on the hills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £380.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient, cruciform, and spacious; has, at various periods, been much altered by repairs and reconstructions; was re-roofed in 1846; has an embattled and pinnacled tower; and contains some old carvings, and monuments of the Arundells. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bryanites, an endowed school with £5 a year, and charities £37.The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 20, 117. Pop., 3, 593. Houses, 731.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newlyn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Carrick. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newlyn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newlyn, in Carrick and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newlyn".