Place:


Pinhoe  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pinhoe like this:

PINHOE, a village and a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon. The village stands near the Bristol and Exeter railway, 2½ miles N E of Exeter; and has a post-office under Exeter. The parish comprises 1, 735 acres. Real property, £3, 998. Pop., 508. Houses, 111. The property is divided among a few. ...


A battle was foughthere against the Danes in 1001. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £227.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church stands nearly a mile from the village; is old but good, with a tower; and containselaborately carved oak pulpit and screen. There are a parochial school, and charities £42. Bishop Conybeare and the theologian John Reynold were natives.

Pinhoe through time

Pinhoe is now part of Exeter district. Click here for graphs and data of how Exeter has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pinhoe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pinhoe, in Exeter and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5968

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pinhoe ".