Place:


Merther  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Merther like this:

MERTHER, a parish in Truro district, Cornwall; on St. Clement's creek, an inner offshoot of the Fal river., 6 miles E by S of Truro r. station. Post town, Tresilian, under Probus, Cornwall. Acres, 1,726. Real property, £2,088. Pop., 384. Houses, 79. The manor and most of the land belong to Viscount Falmouth. ...


Tresawsen, now a farm-house, was formerly the seat of the Hals family, and was inhabited by William Hals, author of t he "Parochial History of Cornwall. ''Tresilian bridge spans St. Clement's creek, at the boundary with Probus parish; and a commerce up to that point is carried on in coal, lime, and timber. The gate-house of Tregothnan, the seat of Viscount Falmouth, adjoins the bridge. Here was the place where the royal army surrendered to Fairfax in 1646. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £32. Patron, the Vicar of ProbusThe church is ancient but good; and has a tower surmounted by a wooden bell-turret. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with £20 a year.

Merther through time

Merther is now part of Carrick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carrick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Merther itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Merther, in Carrick and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5879

Date accessed: 20th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Merther ".