Place:


Coity  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coity like this:

COYTY, a parish in Bridgend district, Glamorgan; on the river Ogmore, and on the South Wales railway, around and above Bridgend. It consists of the hamlet of Higher Coyty, which includes the village of Hendre, and the hamlet of Lower Coyty, which includes the town of Bridgend and the villages of Nolton and Oldcastle. ...


Acres of Higher C., 2, 911. Real property, £1, 964. Pop., 511. Houses, 107. Acres of Lower C., 1, 660. Real property, £5, 366. Pop., 2, 174. Houses, 429. Post town, Bridgend. The property is not much divided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Dunraven. Coyty Castle, 2 miles NE by N of Bridgend, was built in 1091, by Pain de Turberville; passed through the Berkrolles, the Gamages, and the Sydneys, to the Wyndhams; and is now an extensive ruin, not possessing much architectural interest. A number of the inhabitants are miners. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Nolton, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £416. Patron, the Earl of Dunraven. The church is a fine Cruciform edifice of the 14th century, well restored in 1859: has a tower in decorated English, windows variously decorated and perpendicular, and a massive groined roof; and contains several monuments. Hopkin, the poet, was a native.

Coity through time

Coity is now part of Bridgend district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgend has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coity itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coity, in Bridgend and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5812

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coity ".