Place:


Stoke  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke like this:

STOKE, a township in Great Boughton district, and a parish partly also in Wirral district, Cheshire. The township lies on the Mersey canal, 2½ miles W of Dunham-Hill r. station, and 4¾ N by E of Chester. Acres, 706. Real property, £1,038. Pop., 102. Houses, 15. The parish contains also Great and Little Stanney townships, and part of Whitby. ...


Post town, Chester. Acres, 2,749. Pop., 431. Houses, 69. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £130.* Patron, SirJ. Bunbury, Bart. The church was restored in 1827. Charities, £28.

Stoke through time

Stoke is now part of Ellesmere Port and Neston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ellesmere Port and Neston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stoke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke, in Ellesmere Port and Neston and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5735

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stoke ".