Place:


Rockbeare  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rockbeare like this:

ROCKBEARE, a parish, with the villages of Rock-beare and Marsh-Green, in St. Thomas district, Devon; 1½ mile S E of Broad-Clist r. station, and 6 E N E of Exeter. Post-town, Exeter. Acres, 2, 375. Real property, £3, 310. Pop., 540. Houses, 108. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged formerly to Canonsleigh-abbey, and belongs now to T. Porter, Esq. R. House and R. Court are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £148.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient but good, and has a pinnacled tower. There are an Independent chapel, a village school, and charities £9.

Rockbeare through time

Rockbeare is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rockbeare itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rockbeare in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5721

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rockbeare ".