Place:


Essendine  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Essendine like this:

ESSENDINE, a chapelry in Ryhall parish, Rutland; contiguous to Lincoln, and on the Great Northern railway, 4¼ miles NNE of Stamford. It has a station, with telegraph, on the railway; and two branch lines strike off hence to respectively Stamford and Bourn. Post town, Ryhall, under Stamford. ...


Acres, 1, 526. Real property, £1, 770. Pop., 193. Houses, 34. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to the bishops of Lincoln; and had a castle. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Ryhall, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is chiefly early English, but has a very early Norman doorway.

Essendine through time

Essendine is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Essendine itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Essendine in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5668

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Essendine ".