Place:


Oxnead  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oxnead like this:

OXNEAD, a parish in Aylsham district, Norfolk; on the river Bure, 3¼ miles S E of Aylsham, and 10½ N by E of Norwich r. station. Post-town, Hevingham, under Norwich. Acres, 644. Real property, £1, 794. Pop., 57 Houses, 14. The property belongs to Sir Henry J. Stracey, Bart. ...


Oxnead Hall was the seat of Sir W-Paston; went by sale, first to Lord Anson, then to Sir Edward Stracey, Bart.; and is now partly demolished, and partly a farm-house. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Buxton, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is ancient, was recently restored, and stands secluded among trees.

Oxnead through time

Oxnead is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oxnead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oxnead, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5641

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oxnead ".