Place:


Esh  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Esh like this:

ESH, or Ash, a village and a township-chapelry in Lanchester parish, Durham. The village stands 4 miles NNW of Brancepeth r. station, and 5 WNW of Durham; and has a post office under Durham. The chapelry comprises 3, 016 acres. Real property, £2, 915. Pop., 942. Houses, 118. The property is divided among a few. A Roman Catholic college, on a large scale, with about 300 students, is at Ushaw. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £190.* Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is good; and there is a Roman Catholic chapel. See Ushaw.

Esh through time

Esh is now part of Derwentside district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derwentside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Esh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Esh, in Derwentside and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5592

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Esh ".