Place:


Hales  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hales like this:

HALES, a parish in Loddon district, Norfolk; 2½ miles SW by S of Loddon, and 4¾¾ NW of Beccles r. station. Post town, Loddon, under Norwich. Acres, 980. Real property, £1, 978. Pop., 315. Houses, 75. The property is divided among a few. Hales Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage, united with Heckingham, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £63. Patron, Sir W. B. Smyth, Bart. The church is Norman, with early English alterations; has a round tower; exhibits quaint and elaborate details; and is in good condition.

Hales through time

Hales is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hales itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hales in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5585

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hales ".