Place:


Week St Mary  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Week St Mary like this:

WEEK-ST. MARY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Stratton district, Cornwall. The village stands 11 miles NW by N of Launceston r. station; is nominally a borough, governed by a mayor; and has a post-office under Stratton, Cornwall, and two annual fairs.—The parish comprises 5,824 acres. ...


Real property, £3,072. Pop., 611. Houses, 124. An ancient fortress stood on Castle-hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £388.* Patron, Sidney-Sussex College, Cambridge. The church is old, and has a high tower. There are traces of a chantry founded, about the beginning of the 14th century, by a native maiden who became the wife of Sir J. Percival, lord mayor of London. There are three dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £5.—The sub-district contains 5 parishes. Acres, 2,570. Pop., 529.

Week St Mary through time

Week St Mary is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Week St Mary itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Week St Mary in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5547

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Week St Mary ".