Place:


Meldreth  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Meldreth like this:

MELDRETH, a village and a parish in the district of Royston and county of Cambridge. The village stands on a branch of the river Rhea, near the Hitchin and Cambridge railway, 4 miles NNE of Royston; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Royston. The parish comprises 2,000 acres. ...


Real property, £5,011. Pop., 735. Houses, 165. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £224.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. 'The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower: and was recently in disrepair. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and charities £9. Andrew Marvell, father of the poet Marvell, was a native.

Meldreth through time

Meldreth is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Meldreth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Meldreth in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5543

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Meldreth ".