Place:


Ince  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ince like this:

INCE, a village and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The village stands adjacent to the Mersey, and to the Hooton and Helsby railway, 4½ miles W by S of Frodsham; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Chester. The parish comprises 1, 560 acres of land, and 2, 285 of water. ...


Real property, £3, 656. Pop., 371. Houses, 63. The manor, with all the land, belonged to the abbots of St. Werburgh; went, at the dissolution, to Sir Richard Cotton; passed to the Cholmondeleys, the Wynnes, the Warings, and the Yateses; and belongs now to Edmund W. P. Yates, Esq. Ince Hall, the seat of Mr. Yates, was built in 1849; and is an edifice of white freestone, in the Italian style. Traces of a monastic establishment exist in what are now the houses of a farmstead. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £250. * Patron, E. W. P. Yates, Esq. The Church consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and was restored in 1854, at a cost of about £3, 400. Charities, £7.

Ince through time

Ince is now part of Ellesmere Port and Neston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ellesmere Port and Neston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ince itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ince, in Ellesmere Port and Neston and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5534

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ince ".