Place:


Cheldon  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cheldon like this:

CHELDON, a parish in South Molton district, Devon; on the river Dart, 3 miles ESE of Chumleigh, and 5 ENE of Eggesford r. station. Post town, Chumleigh, North Devon. Acres, 1, 108. Real property, £775. Pop., 97. Houses, 14. The property all belongs to the Earl of Portsmouth. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £97.* Patron, the Earl of Portsmouth. The church consists of nave, chancel, and south porch, with low square tower; and is good.

Cheldon through time

Cheldon is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cheldon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cheldon in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5500

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cheldon ".