Place:


Kings Worthy  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kings Worthy like this:

KINGSWORTHY, a village and a parish in Winchester district, Hants. The village stands among finelytimbered slopes, on the N bank of the Itchin, about a mile from the Southwestern railway, and 2 miles NNE of Winchester; is remarkably pretty; and has a postoffice under Winchester. The parish includes the tything of Abbotsworthy, and comprises 2, 168 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 513. Pop., 359. Houses, 69. The property is divided chiefly among three. The manor, with Worthy Park, belongs to G. A. E. Wall, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £452. * Patron, Lord Northbrook. The church is early perpendicular, and was recently enlarged and beautified. The parsonage is a spacious edifice in the Tudor style; and was erected, at a cost of £10, 000, by the late Sir Thomas Baring, Bart., as a residence for his son, the present Bishop of Durham. The schools were rebuilt in 1859; and they are handsome and commodious, and have a reading room and lending library attached.

Kings Worthy through time

Kings Worthy is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kings Worthy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kings Worthy, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5477

Date accessed: 21st April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kings Worthy ".