Place:


Mungrisdale  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mungrisdale like this:

MUNGRISDALE, a township-chapelry in Greystoke parish, Cumberland; on the Glenderamakin river, between Bowscale fell and Eycoll hill, 2½ miles N W by N of Troutbeck r. station, and 5½ S of Hesket Newmarket. Post-town, Penrith. Acres, 6, 729. Real property, £1, 728. Pop., 202. ...


Houses, 44. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to H. Howard, Esq. Part of the surface is mountain vale, and much is moor and high upland. Some of the inhabitants are employed in slate quarries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £118.* Patron, the Rector of Greystoke. The church is old but good, and has a bell gable.

Mungrisdale through time

Mungrisdale is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mungrisdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mungrisdale, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5440

Date accessed: 13th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mungrisdale ".