Place:


Upton by Birkenhead  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upton By Birkenhead like this:

UPTON, a village and a parish in Wirrall district, Cheshire. The village stands 4 miles W of Birkenhead r. station; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Birkenhead. The parish is sometimes called Over-church, and comprises 929 acres. Real property, £2,871. Pop., 293. Houses, 57. The manor belongs to W. Inman, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £60.* Patron, W. Inman, Esq. The church is plain. There are a national school, a reading room, and a convent.

Upton by Birkenhead through time

Upton By Birkenhead is now part of Wirral district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wirral has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upton By Birkenhead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upton by Birkenhead, in Wirral and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5435

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upton By Birkenhead ".