Place:


Tintwistle  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tintwistle like this:

TINTWISTLE, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Mottram parish, Cheshire. The village stands 1 mile NW of Hadfield r. station, and 5 E of Staleybridge: occupies a bold acclivity, rising from the river Etherow, and commanding a fine view; and has a post-office under Manchester. The township includes Arnfield hamlet: includes also, for poor-rate purposes, Micklehurst hamlet; and, with M., comprises 14,120 acres. ...


Real property, £8,746; of which £40 are in quarries. Pop., exclusive of Micklehurst, in 1851, 3,027; in 1861, 1,691. Houses, 339. The decrease of pop. was caused partly by the removal of workmen on the Manchester waterworks and on the Manchester and Sheffield railway, and partly by the conversion of two cloth-weaving establishments into spinning-mills. The waterworks have reservoirs with capacity for 3,491,000,000 gallons-The chapelry was constituted in 1838. Pop. in 1861,3,585. Houses, 733. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1837. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a young men's institute, and national and British schools.

Tintwistle through time

Tintwistle is now part of High Peak district. Click here for graphs and data of how High Peak has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tintwistle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tintwistle, in High Peak and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5434

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tintwistle ".