Place:


Elmley  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elmley like this:

ELMLEY (Isle of), a parish in Sheppey district, Kent; on the Swale, 1¾ mile E of the Sheerness railway, and 3½ SE by S of Queenborough. Post town, Milton, under Sittingbourne. Acres, 2, 341; of which 580 are water. Real property, £3, 709. Pop., 140. Houses, 27. The property is divided among a few. Much of the surface is marshy. There are a ferry on the Swale, and a coast-guard station. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £340. Patron, Miss Robertson. The church is recent.

Elmley through time

Elmley is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elmley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elmley, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5402

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elmley ".