Place:


Kinnerley  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kinnerley like this:

KINNERSLEY, a township and a parish in Oswestry district, Salop. The township lies 3 miles ENE of the boundary with Wales, 4 S of Rednall r. station, and 66½ SE by S of Oswestry; and has a post office under Oswestry. The parish contains also the townships of Dovaston, Edgerley, Kynaston, Lower Maesbrook, Upper Maesbrook, Osbaston, and Tyricoed. ...


Acres, 5, 891. Real property, £9, 002. Pop. in 1851, 1, 254; in 1861, 1, 310. Houses, 277. The property is much subdividedA castle stood anciently here; and was destroyed, in the time of Henry III., by Llewelyn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £114. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good. Charities, £16.

Kinnerley through time

Kinnerley is now part of Oswestry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oswestry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kinnerley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kinnerley, in Oswestry and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5364

Date accessed: 22nd May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kinnerley ".