Place:


Hertingfordbury  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hertingfordbury like this:

HERTINGFORDBURY, a village and a parish in the district and county of Hertford. The village stands between the rivers Maran and Lea, adjacent to the Hertford and Dunstable railway, 2 miles WSW of Hertford; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Hertford. The parish contains also the hamlets of EastEnd, Stains-Green, Cole-Green, Birch-Green, and LettyGreen. ...


Acres, 2, 586. Real property, £4, 168. Pop., 799. Houses, 168. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given, at the Conquest, to Philip de Valoines; passed to the Duchy of Lancaster; and, with Panshanger House, belongs now to Earl Cowper. An oak, nearly 20 feet in girth at 5 feet from the ground, is in Panshanger park. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Letty-Green, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500. * Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is ancient; was thoroughly repaired in 1846; consists of nave, N aisle, S porch, and chancel, with tower and spire; and contains some beautiful monuments of the Cowpers. There are a chapel of ease at Letty-Green, an endowed school, and a charity for apprenticing..

Hertingfordbury through time

Hertingfordbury is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hertingfordbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hertingfordbury in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5342

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hertingfordbury ".